The Nine Realms
The Nine Realms is a collection of planets and dimensions that are particularly closely bunched on the branchings of Yggdrasil. King Odin of the Aesir rules over these realms from the Golden Throne of Asgard and maintains peace and order between the worlds.
From the conflict of energies, life seeded itself across the other worlds-- this collection of demesnes, so closely linked, would be called The Nine Realms. Save Earth, known as Midgard, no realms were closer to the roots of Yggdrasil. Odin, patriarch of Asgard, views himself as the rightful ruler and protector of these realms.
- Alfheim -- Home of the Light Elves and Dark Elves. The Dark Elves prefer the soubriquet Svartalfheim for their share of that territory.
- Asgard -- Home of the Aesir
- Valhalla -- Realm of the honored dead which is distinct from but closely connected to Asgard.
- Vanaheim -- Home of the Vanir, the sister race of the Asgardians.
- Jotunheim -- Home of the Jötunn (Frost Giants, Storm Giants).
- Midgard (Earth) -- Home of the Humans.
- Nidavellir -- Home of the Dwarves, contested with the Dark Elves.
- Niffleheim -- Realm of the dishonored dead, a land of ice, mist, and cold.
- Muspelheim -- Home of the Fire Demons, a realm of eternal fire.
- Heven -- Heven was cut off from Yggdrasil after an attempted coup on Odin.
- Asgard shares a common landmass with Vanaheim, Alfheim, and Nidavellir.
- Helheim and Niffleheim are part of the same landmass.
- Muspelheim and Niffelheim are furthest from one another but both are accessible from the world known as Jotunheim.